[Greenbuilding] fastening a subfloor over foam over a slab

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Jun 1 13:39:27 CDT 2011

so an important question is mechanical versus adhesive fastening.  Screw vs
Goo, if you will.  Without being responsible for the installation
personally, I am more comfortable spec'ing mechanical fastening.  I'm
thinking to fasten the lams of plywood at 8" centers EW, and secure it to
the slab with flathead tapcons at 24" OCEW, with 3/4" embedment.

A remaining question is resistance of the foam to insect infestation.  This
suggests a rugged vapor barrier over the slab--as for insect supression as
for vapor migration.  (in this case the basement is well drained, with
little risk of significant bulk water anywhere.)

AA