[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bobbi Chukran bobbi at bobbichukran.com
Wed Jun 1 16:28:10 CDT 2011

Hi Bob,

I'm also on the Austin Permaculture list with you, and have read the
posts about your home with interest.

That's amazing about your AC use!  We have several issues--mostly
health related.  I have severe allergies to almost everything,
including molds which are almost always high in this area.  So
dehumidification and air filtering is essential.  We are planning on
blowing in insulation in the outer walls of the house, which as far
as we know are framed with 2x4's.  So that's the most we could get in
the walls without some major demolition and reframing to make them
deeper.  We didn't plan on changing the walls much since they are
made of planks on both sides of the studs in addition to wallboard.
There are already ceiling fans in each room.  We do plan on adding
lots of insulation to the attic.

We have awnings over every window in the house, it's well shaded with
huge old pecan trees, and there are 25 windows and three doors.

What kind of insulation did you use in your attic?

If we could downsize the system, that would be great.  But I'm pretty
sure that one window unit won't do it for us, given that the house is
not an open plan, and we don't plan on opening it up much from what
it already is.

bobbi c.