[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Wed Jun 1 21:42:20 CDT 2011

Bobbie,

No sleep for me tonight, I see.

I disagree *loudly and strongly* with his statement that cellulose will
be an allergy problem!!!

You are absolutely right, fiberglass is far worse and more likely to get
down to the living space because the particles that become airborne are
a smaller, lighter fiber than cellulose.

Cellulose will settle and form a 'crust', locking in the fibers.
Fiberglass does not.

You need to deal with several potential leaks that could connect the
living space and the house.  The ducts, of course, but if the fan,
housing and other parts are also up there, all cabinet joints, the
filter access (even if the access door for servicing filters is tight,
I'd still tape the edges between services (it's the only appropriate
place for standard 'duct tape'; it will hold the month between servicing
and it's cheap).

Of course, all of the grill boot penetrations /must/ be sealed to the
ceiling, as should any bath exhaust fan that is ducted through the attic.

Then, all of the other penetrations mentioned in my first post...

If you have to work in the attic in those temperatures, limit to about
15 min stints; hydrate religiously and get out if you start to feel
better - that's an early sign that the heat is getting to you.  Early
morning is typically coolest, after a full night's chance to cool as
much as it can.

Haven't mentioned, or seen mention of, ventilation of the attic.  If
it's not, that might help.  At least it might let you open the access
and intentionally lose a bit of living h space chill up there, to extend
your safe working time.

G'night.
Bob Klahn

Good luck.