[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:29:47 CDT 2011

Bobbie,  Following Bob Klahn's always good, well expressed advice with
anything better is an impossibility but I concur on the need to thicken,
well insulate and tighten up those walls (and ceiling of course).  As far as
replacing the windows, I wouldn't.  Rather I would build a frame on the
inside around each one, essentially extending the interior sill and the
thickness of the wall to get the depth you need for proper insulation.  Deep
sills look great and given the fact that you wanted a smaller house anyway,
the extra inches out of each room shouldn't be a problem.

You could start with the main living areas, closing off the bedrooms and
lesser used rooms, moving to complete those as time and budget allows.

Re AC, I bet, if you insulate and tighten property, install fans in each
room, get a good dehumidification system (that's the difficulty), you could
get away without AC except for a few miserable days a year.  We do up here
in humid NE Kansas, but then we're that much further north which may make
all the difference.

Your house btw is very attractive.

Cheers,  Sacie

*