[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Thu Jun 2 08:56:43 CDT 2011

Bill,
Basically, you drill a hole, usually 2 1/4" or 2 1/2", at one end of
each cavity, and feed in a 1 3/4" ID flexible tube to the other end of
the cavity, then pull about 8" back.  All this is, of course adapted to
the end of the blowing hose with a smooth step-down.  I make my entrance
holes along the bottom of the wall because it facilitates moving from
hole to hole - and it's well below sight line, so any trace of the
plug/patch is less noticeable.

Blow until 'refusal', i.e. when the motor on the blower starts to bog or
whine and material stops flowing. This will have loosely filled the
whole cavity and dense-packed the space within a foot of the end of the
tube (effectively the 'nozzle').  Pull the hose out about a foot and
repeat the process.  Repeat this cycle until you reach the access hole
again.

I wad a bit of burlap around the tubing, to allow air out to keep the
cavity from pressurizing, and draw the tube out through it.  This keeps
the  insulation 'snowstorm' out of your face and minimizes the mess in
the site.  I usually do this from the interior; it is easier to patch
the wall surface and avoids damage to any drain plane (older houses
often have rosen paper between the subsiding and the siding that does
function this way, sort of).

Marking the tube at 1' intervals, with extra warning at the last foot
mark, makes the process easier - and saves you a face-full, if you are
paying attention. The marks also help you locate the extra hole needed
if you run into a blockage, such as a fire stop.  Lateral probing during
layout will help you catch narrow, 'run-out' cavities but I'd advise an
infrared scan to be sure you've gotten everything.

Use a full length of blowing hose before adding your tube reducer.
Depending on the size of the initial hose, It often helps to add a full
section, stepping down to 2" or 2 1/2" before adding the tube.  This
acts as a stream straightener and reduces clogs.  You will still get
clogs and a burlap sack lets you blow the hose empty into it to clear
them, without causing a mess and losing insulation.  A large tarp under
the blower will allow you to collect spilled insulation for reuse, but
be very careful not to pick up any debris, it can damage the machine -
if the insulation passes through the fan, it can destroy it - and may
cause problems once in the wall.

Hope this helps you.
Bob Klahn