[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Thu Jun 2 09:15:07 CDT 2011

Bobbi,

I'd hoped you would realize that about sequencing tasks.  I slip in to
too much micromanagement as is; please forgive if I re-explain the obvious.

As for removing the planks, I assume that they are  likely to be
'face-nailed'; the nails- or the nail holes - are all visible on the
surface. If you can find or rent an old-fashioned slide-hammer nail
claw, if should be relatively easy to remove the nails and free the
planks.  This tool has pincer on the working end that bites into the
wood on either side of the nail head, to get a good grip below any head
it may have, and a rocker foot alongside the pincer to let the tool work
like a claw hammer to extract the nail.  The slide-hammer weighted
handle drives the pincer into the wood.  Align the jaws with the wood
grain (length of the plank) to minimize the size of divot the pincer
rips out of the wood.  This will let you salvage the planks with minimal
damage.  Be forewarned that the nails will have rusted fast; they may
snap but will resist your effort in any case.

If you can't find this tool, the same job can be done, with more damage,
using a smaller hand-held prying tool, alternately called a 'cat's paw'
or a 'goat's foot', which describes the appearance of the working end.
It is driven in alongside the nail head with a hammer; the jaw grabs the
shank of the nail; and then it is rocked to lever out the nail.  It's
not as reliable and, because the jaw is much bigger, does a lot more
damage around the nail.  Some Japanese models do have fairly small claws
and minimize this damage, but it will still be more.  For reuse, you can
flip the plank to hide the damage.

If you try to lever old planks up without drawing the nails, you will be
sure to break some, if not all.

Have a good (cooler) day.
Bob Klahn