[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bobbi Chukran bobbi at bobbichukran.com
Fri Jun 3 08:07:14 CDT 2011

Hi all!

After a huge ordeal, we finally got through the closing yesterday
morning, but didn't get keys until it was already 90-degrees
outside.  We soldiered on, went in and opened up all 25 of the
windows and all of the many doors.  It was pretty neat...at one
point, I'd opened enough windows that I heard a huge WHOOSH and a
door slammed at the opposite end of the house.  Rudy yelled "We got
ghosts!"  LOL. Now I know why they had a brick in every room.

During the day, we watched the outside thermometer under the shade of
the pecan tree.  At about 4 p.m. it was 102 outside, and 94 inside.
I'd like to recreate that simple experiment after we get some
insulation in there.

All of your comments, suggestions, recommendations are helping us BIG
time.  Rudy's making a list of detailed questions to ask the AC guy.
We aren't sure if he was spec-ing the unit on the basis of no
insulation, or if he does the same size no matter what.  He's very
experienced there with old houses, so we need to find out exactly
what he based his calculations on.

Either way, we did plan to start with caulking and foaming, after our
initial cleaning frenzy.  At this point, we're trying to decide how
to use the space.  The floor plan is very wonky, of course, but I
don't want to change it too much unless we have to.

As for blowing insulation, I saw a video on the This Old House site
which explained it very clearly.  They blew from the bottom up, then
from the top down.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20047052,00.html

bobbi c.