[Greenbuilding] Hemp houses for VICTORY!

Kathy Ging kathy at kathyging.com
Tue Jun 14 02:41:00 CDT 2011

I am envisioning having a very small  - 800 s.f. - house built of either hemp bales or hemp panels and/or hemcrete aka hempcrete aka isochanvre or hemp cement made
from the HURDS of hemp - left-over product after high grade fiber used for clothes, paint, paper and more.

Type _houses of hemp_ in your search engine on YouTube or elsewhere to find dozens of hemp houses in Ireland and England and elsewhere. This is the
beginning of hopefully a world wide movement.

I ordered the ebook from Australia and a hard copy book from Canada on hemp houses and am doing research.
In the slide show from Australia is a photo of a 300 year old Japanese hemp house.

I hope to build in about a year since I already have the lot and want to focus on a small footprint house to get the word out about hemp's
many forms. USA is the only industrial country that has not legalized industrial hemp.  (Ron Paul apparently was seeking co signers to have
another attempt at a bill in this country, unsure of its progress.)

Has anyone heard about a hemp house in the US besides the 3,400 sq. ft. one near Asheville, NC, built circa 2009 for the former Mayor
of Asheville and his wife?  (It only needs under $100 for air conditioning in July!)   Many hemp houses need no heating or cooling and reportedly
are out-performing computer projections for heat load.

I understand it may be spendy to import hemp building products here.  But I think if I can have a small one built, I can at least exhibit the many
fine qualities of this Cadilaac of all plants to Eugene, OR, audiences!

As Popular Mechanics anticipated on its front cover early last century: hemp - the billion dollar crop.

(About a dozen states have legalized industrial hemp but until the feds learn to differentiate rope from dope, as The BIllion Dollar Crop video from Australia over a decade ago says,**
 the popularization of this plant grown not for flowers or leaves but for its stalks may not become widespread.)

Hemp cement does not get slumpy and does not have to be heated to 3,000 degrees and can be used as interior wall plaster - fireproof, _nontoxic_, breathable, termite proof;
it does not need painted and can be used in versatile applications. It also degrades to a natural material and reportedly can be carbon neutral.
I have talked to the three builders I have located in the USA who have worked with hemp.

Any advice or experience with my mission would be graciously accepted!   Pls. join me in declaring Victory through hemp house building today - FLAG DAY - yay mawn, even
the American flag was made of hemp in the good old days, not to mention tons of sails and rope in the US Constitution ship. See the USA HEMP MUSEUM at
<http://racingteamakhassha.posterous.com/hemp-sailing-ships-usa-hemp-museum>

Read _The Emperor Wears No Clothes _by Jack Herer et al, a FASCINATING BOOK that woke my generation to the glories of this amazing plant and the nefarious forces
that suppressed its widespread growth and industrial development making way instead for widespread devastation of forests, water sheds and sentient beings.

**  this video is now available on YouTube:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXW-W_F2MQ8>
An opening time lapse photo of the germinating hemp seed is outright sensual mais oui!
But what ensues in the next scene - quelle dommage.

ALL ZEE BEST IN ZEE WEST!
~-~   ~-~   ~-~   ~-~   ~-~
Kathy Ging, M.A., G.R.I.

(Co-founder NW EcoBuilding Guild, SW Oregon Chapter)

AMETHYST REALTY LLC

541-342-8461

Email: kathy at kathyging.com

WEB:  http://kathyging.com