[Greenbuilding] Foam insulation advice needed

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:39:57 CDT 2011

>From the EPA website on Spray Polyurethane Foam:

*Potential Chemical Exposures
*Chemical exposures from SPF may occur through a variety of ways. The work
site should be restricted to persons wearing appropriate personal protective
equipment.

   - Vapors and Aerosols
      - Spray application generates isocyanate vapors and aerosols.
      - Research data indicate that inhalation exposures during SPF
      insulation will typically exceed OSHA occupational exposure limits (OELs)
      and require skin, eye and respiratory protection.
      - Vapors and aerosols can migrate through the building if the area is
      not isolated and properly ventilated.
      - After application, vapors may linger in a building until properly
      ventilated and thoroughly cleaned.
   - Dust
      - Cutting or trimming the foam as it hardens (tack-free phase) may
      generate dust that may contain unreacted isocyanates and other chemicals.
      - After application, dust may linger in a building until properly
      ventilated and thoroughly cleaned.
   - Heat-generating processes
      - Any heat-generating processes such as drilling, welding, soldering,
      grinding, sawing, or sanding on or near the foam insulation may
generate a
      range of airborne degradation
(PDF)<http://www.polyurethane.org/s_api/bin.asp?CID=885&DID=6936&DOC=FILE.PDF>
       (3 pp, 109K) [image: Exit EPA
Disclaimer]<http://www.epa.gov/epahome/exitepa.htm>chemicals,
      including, isocyanates, amines, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen
      cyanide, or nitrogen oxides.
   - Fires
      - Fires involving SPF may release isocyanates, hydrogen cyanide,
      amines, and other toxic chemicals into the air. Read Isocyanates
      (Emissions from fires)
(PDF)<http://www.epa.gov/oppt/tsca8e/pubs/8ehq/2006/mar06/8ehq_0306_16401a.pdf>
       (130 pp, 10 MB). Fire departments have issued advisories and require
      the use of full supplied air respirators when fighting polyurethane fires.

*Curing*
“Curing” of SPF means that the chemicals in the product are reacting to
produce polyurethane foam. SPF material is highly adhesive and will stick to
most surfaces. SPF may appear hardened or "tack-free" within a range of a
few seconds to a few minutes after application.  However, at this stage, the
foam is still curing and still contains unreacted SPF chemicals.

Some manufacturers estimate that it can take approximately 23-72 hours after
application for the foam to fully cure for the two-component high pressure
"professional" SPF system, and approximately 8 to 24 hours to cure for one
component foam, typically available in 12 oz. to 24 oz. cans, but more
research is needed to account for the potential variability of curing
rates<http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/projects/spf/exposure_potential.html#curingrates>
.
Whether or not a company has LEED ratings doesn't matter on the chemical
make up of spray foam.  All spray foams that I know of (insert foot here)
are petroleum based and have voc's as part of their make up.

EPA website on SPF:
http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/projects/spf/spray_polyurethane_foam.html

Sam

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Bobbi Chukran <bobbi.chukran at suddenlink.net