[Greenbuilding] Foam insulation advice needed

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:02:06 CDT 2011

The basic chemical make up of two part spray foams:

Side A contains isocyanates:

   - 4,4' Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate, CAS #101-68-8
   - Polymeric MDI,  CAS # 9016-87-9
   - Generic MDI mixed isomers, CAS #26447-40-5
   - Other similar isocyanates

Side B contains a blend of proprietary chemicals that provide unique
properties in the foam, including:

   - Polyols (derived from petroleum and agricultural sources)
   - Flame retardants
   - Blowing agents
   - Amine or metal catalysts
   - Surfactants

Chemical Name

CAS Number

4,4'-Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI)

101-68-8

Polymeric Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate (pMDI)

9016-87-9

Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate Mixed Isomers

26447-40-5

2,4'-MDI

5873-54-1

2,2'-MDI

2536-05-2

Generic MDI

26447-40-5

4,4'-MDI homopolymer

25686-28-6

Generic MDI homopolymer

39310-05-9

4,4'-MDI dimer

17589-24-1

Uretonimine of 4,4'-MDI

31107-36-5

4,4'-MDI/ 2,4'-MDI copolymer

109331-54-6

The world production-volume of
isocyanates<http://www.irsst.qc.ca/en/isocya_9.htm>
 [image: Exit EPA Disclaimer] <http://www.epa.gov/epahome/exitepa.htm> is
estimated to be in excess of six million tons annually with growth of 10 to
15 percent annually.  The most widely used isocyanates are:

   - Methylene diphenyl diisocyanates (MDI)
   - Toluene diisocyanates (TDI)
   - Hexamethylene diisocyanates (HDI)
   - MDI-, TDI-, and HDI-based isocyanates

Isocyanates have a broad range of uses in the manufacture of consumer
products, including:

   - Spray foam<http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/projects/spf/spray_polyurethane_foam.html>
   - Coatings, e.g., paints and
varnishes<http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/projects/auto/index.htm>
   - Caulks, glues, adhesives
   - Elastomers
   - Fibers
   - Flexible and rigid foams (used in mattresses, pillows, furniture,
   automotive seats, insulation, and roofing)

Spray applications of isocyanates may generate aerosols, mist, and vapors
that can be inhaled or come in contact with the eyes or skin. Potential
exposures may occur through skin contact or inhalation of particulates and
dust particles containing isocyanates.
http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/projects/spf/spf_chemicals.html

What's green about foam is the air sealing, durability and insulation values
to name a few.  If you are worried about the outgassing could you put the
foam on on the exterior or use mineral wool or cellulose to achieve your
goals? The AirKrete product looks interesting and claims to have no
outgassing, urea formaldehyde and all the characteristics of what a spray
foam should.

Also, if you are chemically sensitive and have asthma you are likely to be
wearing some sort of personal protection device (mask, respirator) for the
duration of the project to protect you from dust and other airborne
pollutants  which may afford you some protection from  the insulation.

Sam

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Bobbi Chukran <bobbi.chukran at suddenlink.net