[Greenbuilding] Sealing/artwork on ferrocement tub

Ken Beiser woodwrights at centurytel.net
Sat Jun 18 15:09:56 CDT 2011

I built a ferrocement tub surrounded by natural rock and stone but I ended up with a few fine cracks.  I was thinking of a colorful or art finish to brighten up things a bit and seal up the concrete and the cracks.

A few details of the room are that the tub is in my straw bale addition that is to be our master suite.  It is framed with salvaged timbers used as-is and scribed joinery with all mortise and tenon construction.  I built all the windows and doors, used salvaged 2 by 12's for a rustic wide plank floor.  The bath area floor is a polished concrete with PEX tubes for radiant heat.  A natural rock knee wall separates the stall shower from the tub area.  The tub is in a corner with windows facing the river and woods.  The only thing I have not really figured out to complete the room are the small fine cracks in the tub.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, the other thing is that the flickers (woodpeckers) love to go through my earth plaster during the spring nesting and mating seasons.  I am working on that one, too.

Thanks,

Ken Beiser
Western Woodwrights
Whitefish, MT