[Greenbuilding] "Ecoshel" anyone?

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Mon Jun 20 10:03:49 CDT 2011

Dear Matt,

I would avoid this like the plague on the planet that I suspect it
is. Their website mentions "the highest quality Western red cedar
shingles", which, to me, sounds like (and looks like, from the photo)
clear (read: "old-growth") WRC. I have personally seen a shingle
factory turning 1000+-year-old trees into shingles. The trees are
currently coming from British Columbia, since almost all of the
old-growth WRC has been logged out from the US Northwest.

I don't see anything "eco" about Ecoshel (which sounds like a shell
game, to me). The rhetoric on the site's "Green Building" page is a
load of crap about the wonders of wood - without any mention of what
kind of logging is taking place to produce it. I have heard and read
it all too many times before and it ignores the reality of the loss
of primary and old-growth forests due to over-demand for wood.

tim keating

At 9:51 AM -0400 6/17/11, Matt Dirksen wrote:
>Hello friends,
>
>Does anyone have any experience with "Ecoshel" cedar shingle system?
>I am looking at pro's and con's of this, and trying to compare it
>with Hardi's shake or Nichiha's premium shake plus.
>
>thoughts? suggestions?
>
>much appreciated.
>
>Matt

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298