[Greenbuilding] "Ecoshel" anyone?

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Mon Jun 20 19:04:04 CDT 2011

Matt,

I'm not familiar with this product in particular. While Tim's admonishment about old growth sources may be applicable, you won't know for sure without asking a few questions of the supplier. The site does claim to use salvaged logs and FSC logs.
FYI There is a vibrant business in B.C. cutting shakes from stumps of old growth trees that were felled long ago. Shake blockers do this work, often working deep in the bush, using helicopters to take the blocks out. There is also much salvageable red cedar in log form lying in the bush. Until the middle of the last century, most cedar was felled and abandoned to simply get it out of the way so that higher value douglas fir could be accessed. Just Saturday I was walking in the bush and came across three enormous cedar logs that had been felled at least 50 years ago: there's still plenty of salvageable wood in the centre of these logs.
Western red cedar is an amazingly durable material, and if it can be procured from sustainable sources, it can be a good choice.

Chris
TimberGuides
Vancouver Island