[Greenbuilding] "Ecoshel" anyone?

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 23 18:11:32 CDT 2011

Scouring brings up its own issues in the pnw. We don't have a huge soil
structure in the woods and there is concern here that the forests are a net
equation i.e. that what is seemingly dead on the forest floor is very much
part of what is also standing. Chris Masers redesigned forest is a good read
on that.

There is another issue with the use of wood products on roof (not fire which
is also an issue). Traditionally shake roofs lasted because there was
essentially nothing underlaying them. With older barn shake roofs you could
literally see through them. Dirt debris was free to fall through and lots of
air circulation. When the codes changed to require an underlayment roofers
would joke that the roof was warranted for as long as the tar paper lasted.
At this point you could say that they will last as long as the preservative
treatments (in addition to the tarpaper) as the roofs basically rot.

Fibre cement has pretty well disappeared here as a roofing product (subject
to some of the same moisture/deterioration problems as the native wood).
I've found that as excited as I was about roofing alternatives coming on to
the market over the last 20 years very few of the ones that interested me
are still around. The only big advance has been metal roofing that conceals
the fasteners (duh) and perhaps some commercial sheet or membrane products
that marginally greener and hence more viability for a greener green roof.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

station design & millwork

4465 UPHILL RD DUNCAN BC V9L6M7 250-748-7672 C 250-246-8541 F 250-748-7612