[Greenbuilding] Cold air return/s

Myers, Larry A. MyersL at missouri.edu
Sun Jun 26 14:15:16 CDT 2011

I am in the middle of a near total renovation of a 30 year old house (1600 sf, 3 BR, 2 Bath), that wasn't great energywise to start with. I am making some modest changes to save energy -- more insulation, triple pane windows, Energy Star roofing and appliances, etc.

I have a reasonably efficient gas furnace/AC unit. My question: Is there an optimum place to site the cold air return? And is there any advantage to having two returns, or more? If so, where?

Thank you.