[Greenbuilding] Cold air return/s

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Jun 28 13:03:03 CDT 2011

Hi, Larry--

In theory the supply side and return side should have the same air flow.

However, typically each room has at least one supply while the entire house has one return so the system may be out of balance right there. And, when doors are closed, individual rooms experience positive pressure while the main house goes under negative pressure. The same is true for ductwork that has air leaks in it--in an out-of-balance system, supply ducts will leak more conditioned air while the return duct will pull in more attic and garage air.

An out-of-balance system may increase air leakage by increasing pressure differences across the envelope, especially if no air sealing is done as part of the upgrades you listed. Increased air leakage will contribute to the house becoming too dry in winter, by increasing the loss of humidified air and its replacement by cold dry outdoor air.

So ideally the return should be able to "see" the whole supply side, with no barriers to flow. That can be aided by installing transfer ducts on rooms that need to be closed for privacy. Because warm air is buoyant a single return should be located high.

All in all, probably a good idea to invest in sealing the envelope and ducts in unconditioned spaces in order to get a single return to function properly.

Please let us know your solution.

Best,

Mike O'Brien