[Greenbuilding] Cold air return/s

William R Bloom wbloom at unm.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:34:03 CDT 2011

Hi Larry:

You don't mention it but I am assuming that your furnace
output is ducted to your home's rooms, a duct and register
to the bedrooms, living room, kitchen and so forth.  For
each room you typically want a cold air return and I would
position it in respect to the supply registers to
encourage a good air movement in the room example being
you don't want to locate it right next to the supply
register where it will suck the air right back without
conditioning the room.  I couldn't think of an example of
two air returns being beneficial unless the room is so
large that it requires more than one register.

Another important note about return air registers, do not
put them in the bathrooms.

Others may have more input.

I just finished changing out my 1920's adobe ranch from a
gravity floor furnace in the living room and a wall
furnace shared between two bedrooms to a ducted 96%
efficient horizontal forced air in the crawlspace.  I ran
ducts to each room locating the registers at areas of high
heat loss, (under windows usually) and the return air
across the room to encourage good air movement.  I did run
ducts to my bathrooms, but no return airs.  With the
insulation I added to the roof, new Anderson wood windows
U = .32 and the adobe block walls, my heating bills went
from around $300 a month peak to $60.

Bill
Albuquerque