[Greenbuilding] Is Lyptus green?

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Mar 1 00:13:53 CST 2011

Hi Jason--

In my opinion Lyptus is no more green than a corn crop.

Weyerhauser's PR is that Lyptus is intercropped among stands of native forest, which preserves the native forest. But think about it: an Australian tree is grown in Brazil--meaning that no other species native to its Australian ecosystem are present (except possibly the mycorrhizae carried on the roots). None of the native Brazilian insects, birds or animals have any relationship to the Lyptus, because it's a foreign plant. Meanwhile vast tracts of native forest have been cleared to grow Lyptus plantations, removing habitat for many species. InW's aerial photos it all looks green, but it's a native forest adjacent to a monoculture plantation.

Short story: native forest gone, replaced by monoculture.

Best,

Mike O'Brien