[Greenbuilding] infrared thermometer

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Mar 2 06:44:16 CST 2011

On 3/1/2011 11:42 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> I like my Fluke 63. Got it (fairly) cheap on ebay. Supposedly on glass their
> accuracy drops off a bunch, but I still felt it was useful doing what you're
> proposing to do.

It isn't that their accuracy is reduced, but rather that you are outside
their design compromises.  The only thing they can do is measure the
radiant energy from a given direction.  In order to figure out the
temperature of an object, they need to make an assumption about the
emissivity of that object.  For most common household objects,
emissivity is roughly the same; not so for glass and metals.  For those,
you can take a reading, and calculate a conversion based on
emissivities, and get as accurate a reading as on any other object.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap