[Greenbuilding] Insulated overhangs

Kat molasses at q.com
Thu Mar 10 16:45:43 CST 2011

Can't say as I've ever seen the problem you're describing, whether open
or closed soffit... except maybe at the beach? Everything's water and
salt-stained there - I couldn't tell you if it was the same problem,
though. I haven't a clue as to how it would happen, assuming you're
talking about mildew forming on the outside of the soffits? Are you
saying the moisture is coming from outside? So moisture is condensing on
the outsides of the soffits? Why does air sealing and insulation stop it?

-Kat