[Greenbuilding] Insulated overhangs

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 10 18:44:44 CST 2011

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:28:39 -0500, JOHN SALMEN <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I've made it a practice in the pnw to air seal and insulate overhangs -
> especially large overhangs or porches. It seems like a waste but too much
> moisture and potential for condensation = mildewy soffits.

> The soffit wood is natural t&g so cannot reliably be sealed on the
> exterior.

No recommendations but I can talk about what I've done for soffits.

I've never liked the aesthetic of looking out a window to see a broad
expanse of aluminum soffit overhead so where soffits are necessary, I like
to rip 1x Cedar into 1.75"  to 2.5" wide strips and space them about 1"
apart with insect screen backed-up by expanded metal lath on the backside
(ie topside) to keep insects and toothy critters out.

The cedar is planed and sanded but not sealed.

There seems to be sufficient air movement in and around the wood strips to
avoid moisture-related problems.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom