[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

Anne Judge anne.judge at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 6 13:48:51 CDT 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 1:51 PM, bill.allen at verizon.net wrote:

> All,
> Thanks for your comments on this thread.  The one thing no one commented on was the windows.  Do folks have experience with R5 windows?  Can you recommend any mfg's?  I am thinking Marvin Ultimate clad (wood with aluminum cladding on the outside) but they cost an arm and a leg, even more so with triple glazing to reach R5. Alternatives?
> Thanks,
> Bill

Well, I know a bunch of people (on the oldhouseweb forum, so they do have a point of view!) who would tell you the greenest thing you can do is restore your old window, install good weatherstripping on them, and add really good-quality storms.  I believe your house was 1920s?  So the wood is old-growth and with care will last for another century or two, and the weatherstripping and storm additions will make it (I've read) nearly as tight as a modern window unit - with the advantage of continuing to be repairable.

I know others here prefer modern technology, but the sight of a bunch of windows (and old doors, and plaster and lath) in a dumpster, and new material coming in, really bothers me.  For me it's the history as well as the waste - I'm more traditional Yankee than modern green.

Disappearing back to lurkdom now . . .

Anne