[Greenbuilding] Fence posts--gravel or concrete

Kat molasses at q.com
Mon May 9 16:22:47 CDT 2011

Are post bases really that expensive?  Or is it that they're ugly?  I've
always wondered why people set fence posts straight into concrete.

Here in Portland, OR, we haven't had problems with our fence posts
breaking apart the concrete (it doesn't freeze a lot here), but several
of the posts are rotting where they enter the concrete.  When it all
finally falls over I'm building myself a cob fence with a little roof,
and the heck with posts.

-Kat