[Greenbuilding] Fence posts--gravel or concrete

Steve T progressivepenguin at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:38:37 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Benjamin Pratt
<benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I promised to help my friend put in a fence this summer. I was
> recommending that he use gravel, or class 5 crushed gravel, to set
> them in, rather than concrete. From my experience, concrete breaks
> apart anyway when the post swells. I also think the posts would rot
> more slowly in gravel, especially if there is a lot of gravel in the
> hole underneath the posts. But he is skeptical. Do you agree with me?
> Also, how deep should he put them in?  This is in minneapolis, MN.
>
> -Ben
>
> PS. No , he will not consider using a GFX  ;-)

I'm also in Minneapolis and will be building a fence this summer.  We
will be using all gravel, in 5 foot holes with 6" of gravel at the
bottom before setting the post.  This U of M site has some very good
information on footings.
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/deck_footings.html

--
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act!"
-- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)