[Greenbuilding] spray foam/fiberglas

Kat molasses at q.com
Tue May 10 21:29:29 CDT 2011

In general from what I understand on Building Science is that you should
be fine using cellulose or fiberglass insulation if you have a thick
enough layer of closed-cell foam next to the sheathing on the outside.
The closed-cell, being vapor-impermeable, won't allow moisture to
migrate through upwards, and if there's enough of it the inside of the
foam will be warm enough so no condensation will occur on it.  Assembly
dries to the interior.  Just *don't* make the mistake of putting a
SECOND vapor barrier on the inside, as John seems to be suggesting.  You
need that drying to the interior.  Check the code in your area to see
how thick a layer they say is required in your area to keep that
underside-of-foam-surface warm enough to prevent condensation.

-Kat