[Greenbuilding] low flow shower heads

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Fri May 13 15:05:24 CDT 2011

Not that a Navy shower is weak (as in pressure), but will provide a weak (or
uncomfortable) showering experience to most people‹this is ALL about
perception so it¹s subjective (ala CFL or LED lighting colors, marital
bliss, etc.). Getting people to separate the shower and rinse cycle would be
nice but I¹m cynical about that‹much more likely to throw on the showerhead,
install a GFX (no I don¹t sell them, Carmine) and let Calgon take you away.
And that¹s a good thing.

99.2% is about 90% a completely made-up number. But I¹m 100% sure the right
figure is a very high figure.

re: Origin ­ therein lies the problem, no? Breaking shopping assumptions and
considering factors like where something is made/grown and distance shipped
should be factored for virtually every decision in the interest of
sustainability and economic security.

I think the Hansgrohe provides a good modern model‹engineered in Germany,
some parts are made there, but final assembly of that SKU is in US.

Items can have cheap plastic shells and will simply show wear over time.
Gaskets can wear out. Some heads have weak threading and won¹t screw tight
to the wall neck (=leaks).
The lime scale can get stuck and isn¹t easy to clean out‹so they clog and
get trashed. Many of the better heads (like the Hansgrohe and Grohe) have
rubber nozzles‹just rub your finger over it to clean out the scale and
anti-clog.

One line of showerheads (which I¹ll let remain nameless) is all gizmo to
save water and provide strong pressure but it involves a spinwheel on the
face‹a moving part that screams wear and replacement to me.