[Greenbuilding] low flow shower heads

nick pine nick at early.com
Sun May 15 06:02:34 CDT 2011

Anne Judge <anne.judge at alum.mit.edu> writes:

>I don't turn the water off to soap.  It just doesn't work, the soap doesn't
>stay wet enough or something, plus in the winter it's way too cold.

You might enjoy a fully-enclosed shower (hang long curtains from the ceiling
with no gap at the top) with an $8 1/4 gpm brass fan spray nozzle from
McMaster Carr and a $30 electric teakettle with a $50 Ranco digital
temperature control to keep the enclosure 105 F. If the bathroom is 70 F, an
8'x8' R1 airtight curtain takes (105F-70F)8'x8'/R1 = 2240 Btu/h, ie 657
watts, with 2.2 pints per hour of steam from some polypropylene tubing
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=27916&catid=713 pushed
into a hole at the top of the kettle.

Kat <molasses at q.com> writes:

>Perhaps you could change a guest's behavior by telling your guests that
>they have to pay for the water and water-heating bills while they're there
>;-)

I stayed in an old hotel in London with a coin-op gas meter for the water
heater over the bathtub...

Nick