[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:24:12 CDT 2011

The class action suits Eli mentions where in the early 90s were not drained, relied on caulking to keep water out.  Not surprisingly, caulking failed, windows leaked, and disaster ensued.  Drained systems have not had these problems.
The question: "does a drained gap behind the insulation short-circuit insulation" has not been definitively answered. It has been studied and reported on however.
What is clear is that a small gap (say 1/16" or less) with a drain opening at the bottom only works very well as a drainage system and has a small impact on R-value.  How small? Hard to tell, but under 10%, and my best estimate is 3-5%.
If you have larger gaps and vent openings top and bottom, then the loss will be greater and can be rather significant in theory.
So, use a small gap and vent only.
Also, if you dont like EPS foam (Rob Tom?) you can install EIFS over high density Rockwool.  We tested such a system in the mid 90's, which had large vent openings (trying to get pressure equalization, which was the fad then), and could not see any impact on R-value, but it was a field test so we cold not really measure better than 10%.

The drainage plane on the substrate should be high quality: building paper does not cut.  EIFS producers sell fluid applied air and water barriers that are high performance.

The most problematic EIFS are those that use mechanical fasteners (screws) through housewraps.  While they can work, the screws tend to move and cause cracking far too often, and the differential moisture absorption around the screw causes slight discoloration.  After brief flirtatons with mechanically fastened EIFS, most suppliers have gone back to the tried and true adhesively attached version.  While many on this list would prefer not to rely on adhesion (I am one of them) there is a very long track record of success with EIFS, and there are enough problems with screw attachments to make me avoid them.

For stucco (cement, sand mixes) cladding over insulation, different rules apply.