[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:39:30 CDT 2011

StuccoWrap is the only one we have tested, and it drains like a dream. Not at all obvious it would work so well, hence wy we tested it.  Tested behind polyiso on board, behind stucco, behind XPS, behind fiber cement.

On 2011-05-18, at 10:33 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:

> What is clear is that a small gap (say 1/16" or less) with a drain opening at the bottom only works very well as a drainage system and has a small impact on R-value.  How small? Hard to tell, but under 10%, and my best estimate is 3-5%.
> If you have larger gaps and vent openings top and bottom, then the loss will be greater and can be rather significant in theory.
> So, use a small gap and vent only.
>
> JS--
>
> what's your experience with drainage type rain screens, such as StuccoWrap or its competitors, in this application?
>
> AA

Dr John Straube, P.Eng.
Associate Professor
University of Waterloo
Dept of Civil Eng. & School of Architecture
www.buildingscience.com