[Greenbuilding] flooring for exercise room with radiant slab

Brian Milani bmilani at web.ca
Wed May 18 12:37:20 CDT 2011

Hello,

Our newly-lowered basement has a radiant slab, and we're real happy with
the polishing job that serves as the floor finish for all other rooms on
that level.
But we're turning one room into a meditation/exercise space, so we want
a softer surface.  We won't be doing much high impact exercise---mainly
tai chi, bagua, and standing meditation---but we do want some give to
it, not too much harder than wood or lineoleum (which would be prime
candidates if the room wasn't in the basement).
Until recently, I thought we'd put one of those floating cork-clik panel
floors down---supplying resilience without compromising the radiant heat
too much.   But recently a resilient flooring installer I met said that
the cork-clik floor wouldn't be good for an exercise space because
everything bears on the little tongues that connect the panels.  Is this
true?
Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate floor finish for a
basement exercise room with a radiant slab?

Many thanks.
                              Brian M., Toronto

--
Brian Milani