[Greenbuilding] Vacuum insulation panels...

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 2 14:29:31 CDT 2011

I agree with Corwyn.  We have looked at a bunch of commercially available and prototype products and really see only modest benefits.  Exterior rigid insulation is pretty cheap, effective, and durable, with the only drawback being it is thicker.  A few inches of extra thickness is hardly worth that much money and certainly not the huge premium they charge.

On 11-11-02 1:33 PM, Corwyn wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 10:40 AM, Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering wrote:
>> VIPs could be a real game-changer
>> with respect to net-zero energy homes and buildings.
>
> They have a greater insulation value PER INCH of thickness. That is all. Useful in those few applications where volume is at an extreme premium. Otherwise it needs to compete with other insulation on an R-value/$ basis. Or on a R-value/ecological harm basis.
>
> Thank You Kindly,
>
> Corwyn

Prof. John Straube, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Dept of Civil Engineering / School of Architecture
www.buildingscience.com