[Greenbuilding] tung oil

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Sat Nov 5 00:37:24 CDT 2011

Hi, guys--

Years ago I met a woodworker who had done research on tung oil, and came up with some papers that indicated it can accelerate the growth of Epstein-Barr virus in the body. Here's a sample paper: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6297709.

Epstein-Barr virus in in most people, about 95% of adults, and usually doesn't cause problems. However, during adolescence, EBV can cause mononucleosis.

So, tung oil is probably safe in terms of the exposures we experience from occasional applications. High exposure might be a different story.

Best,

Mike

Michael O'Brien
obrien at hevanet.com