[Greenbuilding] adding borates?

Kenn Brown kenn2536 at centurylink.net
Sat Nov 5 15:39:00 CDT 2011

Benjamin
Try this,
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/isoptera/

Kenn

-----Original Message-----
From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Pratt
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:19 AM
To: Green Building
Subject: [Greenbuilding] adding borates?

I have a couple of window frames in my house that were finished with
clear polyurethane. Every winter the condensation causes fuzzy mold to
grow and some of the wood had turned black. I'm thinking of sanding
those parts and touching them up. Can I add borates to the poly to
keep the mold from growing again? I do have some boric acid and borax.
Will either of these work?
  I think paint stores sell additives that may work--and I think some
of these contain zinc oxides. But i'm not sure if borates would be
better, cheaper, easier, etc.
Ben