[Greenbuilding] heating water with wood stove - heat transfer/efficiency calculations?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Nov 10 08:22:11 CST 2011

On 11/9/2011 2:44 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> Interesting-thanks for the calculation, Corwyn.
> So if I run this another way, I find that I can raise the temperature of
> 10 gal of water by 60F (from 45F to 105F) with 0.125 lbs (2 oz) of wood.
> That seems fishy.

And it is.
60F increase * 10 gals * 8.3 lbs/gal * 1 BTU/lb = 4,980 BTUs.
4,980 / 60% efficiency (a guess for a good wood fired boiler) = 8,300
BTUs.  So 1.0375 lbs of dry wood.

> I wonder if what we're neglecting here is that the fraction of the
> usable heat generated by the wood burning (60% here), only xy% is
> actually entering the coil of copper tubing. If that fraction is, say,
> 1% then the amount of wood required would be 100x more or 12.5lbs of
> wood. That strikes me as a more realistic figure. Anyone care to comment?

If instead of a wood fired boiler, you are using a wood-stove to heat
water as a side effect of heating the house, yes, the efficiency of the
wood -> water heat transfer might be quite low.

I should note, at some point along the progression of improving
efficiency of your house, you are going to reach the point where you are
using more energy to heat hot water, than to heat the house.  I suspect
I am already there.  Given that, if one intends to use a wood-stove to
heat hot water, it should be efficient at that at the expense of heating
the house.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--