[Greenbuilding] attic insulation in Seattle house

Kenn Brown kenn2536 at centurylink.net
Mon Nov 14 12:51:04 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of RT
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 12:28 PM
To: Green Building
Subject: Re: [Greenbuilding] attic insulation in Seattle house

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:55:32 -0500, Sacie Lambertson
<sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> The attic is currently nicely  dry--it
> does have some old loose material between some of the 2x4 joists,

Without knowing any specifics of the scenario/climate etc., I'd venture
that the big reason why the attic is "currently nicely dry" is that it was
likely very air- leaky and the minimal insulation allowed so much heat
loss to occur that any moisture would easily be dissipated.

Installing a foot of cellulose insulation (presumably in and over the
ceiling joists ?) will of course reduce the heat loss considerably so that
the dew point of any moisture (assuming that achieving a good air barrier
on the older home is difficult) will be in the insulation and there being
a relatively large attic volume should allow that moisture to cook off
(assuming that there are some sunny days when the attic would get hot) and
escape via the mushroom vents (appropriately named) high up on the roof.

I'd be inclined to provide at least a few inlets for ventilation air lower
down since the new 12 inch depth of insulation will likely be obstructing
the pre-existing air-leakage points near the soffits.

I'm guessing that the dimension lumber rafters allow only a minimal depth
of insulation at the rafter attachment points over the walls so I'd be
inclined to use a better R-value insulation material at that location so
as to avoid the potential for mould and mildew formation on the ceiling
corners.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")