[Greenbuilding] if we had to cut all our firewood by hand...

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:46:15 CST 2011

... we would insulate our houses *much, much, much* better.

If we had to generate electricity to power our refrigerator with a pedal
generator...

... we would have smaller and better insulated refrigerators, or perhaps
none at all.

If we had to grow the rapeseed and press it into oil and make biodiesel out
of it to drive anywhere....

... we would probably bike instead.

If we did not have the energy slaves (fossil fuels) doing all this work for
us all the time we would work harder, waste less, be more likely to live
within our means, and rediscover a whole lot about how our systems of
provisioning fit together, what makes them go. Sounds kind of
back-to-the-land-ey, doesn't it? But what if we really had to all do it
this time?

I'm trying to map out and then figure out how to phase out my *direct *reliance
on fossil fuels one category at a time (*indirect *I hope to get to
eventually). It is exhausting just cataloging it all. Has anyone else here
tried something like this? It seems like a lifetime project. Perhaps it
will become mine.

Reuben