[Greenbuilding] energy savings myths

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Nov 17 17:48:12 CST 2011

On 11/17/2011 5:27 PM, Michael O'Brien wrote:
> Hi, Reuben and Gennaro--
>
> Your conversation points up the need for some practical yardsticks that
> we can use to compare houses.
>
> I've used annual energy per square foot and annual energy per occupant,
> because they are easy to calculate and for people to understand, though
> they have the same flaws John already pointed out.
>
> Any better ideas?

I generally use Energy per Need, often in BTU / Degree-day units for
houses.  I can sometimes be convinced that BTU / Person / Degree-day
makes sense, but only when there is an actual trade-off between energy
and people. kWh / degree-day gives nice small numbers.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap