[Greenbuilding] HDD and how they are calculated (daily avg. vs hourly avg)

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 20 11:38:17 CST 2011

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:31:14 -0500, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My understanding is that NOAA simply averages the high and low
> temperature in a 24 hour period and subtracts that average from 65F.But
> if one were to  say use hourly data, the resulting HDD figure would be
> different. How  much different I don't know.

Apologies in advance if this response seems scatter-brained (or more than
usual for me), excuse being that I just buried my 100 year-old Mom (who
had been in my care in recent years) yesterday.

I would offer that the HHD data that is "out there" is good enough for
most, if not all people on this list, who I would ass-u-me are using the
numbers to assist them at the design stage of a proposed building.

I suppose a reasonable analogy might be like buying a pair of trousers.

One selects a certain waist size, fully cognisant of the fact that there
will be hourly, daily or yearly variations in the actual waist measurement.

One person's approach might be to select a waist size in anticipation of
eventual expansion -- another might select "just barely fits now" in
anticipation (or perhaps hope) of eventual waist shrinkage -- another
might simply select an elastic waistband... point being that the actual
number is a necessary point of departure, for without doing so, one would
be bottomless.

But back to calculations in which one would use an HDD figure ...

Even though most of the "official" data is typically for 65 degF
set-point, one can and does include a correction factor to accommodate the
desired design temperature (ie typically 72 degF).

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom