[Greenbuilding] HDD and how they are calculated (daily avg. vs hourly avg)

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Tue Nov 22 08:01:58 CST 2011

> I think "good enough for horse shoes and hand grenades" type precision is
> sufficient if using the HDD/yr figure in calculations for a particular
> location when trying to make decisions during the design process of a
> building for normal occupancies.

not that one should not strive for precision, but heaven forbid that on the
muggiest day in July you should have to ice down your scotch, or need a
sweater a few evenings in January.

it's the same question of, do you scale your dining room for Thanksgiving,
or for the other 364 days a year, applied to thermal comfort.

-AA