[Greenbuilding] passive house in NY

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:54:21 CDT 2011

Three of us live in a 120 yr old 2x4 stick built 650 square foot SF house
(4,300 HDD)
Our most recent 12 months of energy bills are:
*natural gas:* $216 (of which $96 is a fee not related to energy
consumption)
*electricity:* $174 (of which $120 is a fee not related to energy
consumption)
*wood*: $40 for gas for my brother's chainsaw and truck to cut & haul the
cord and a half of firewood to my house. Market rate for this firewood would
be ~$300.

Market rates including fixed charges: $690
actual out of pocket for the energy: $214

I have passive house (retrofit) ambitions for this house, and hope to
eliminate the natural gas use, crank the electricity down to maybe 200
kWh/yr, and shrink the heating to 1/4 cord.

Then along comes Mr. Big Shot and builds a brand new passive house that
costs $400/yr in energy costs. I'm still missing something. If I had that
much money to throw at a house you can bet it wouldn't eat that much energy.