[Greenbuilding] passive house in NY

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Oct 27 19:17:59 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> By 3x windows do you mean triple-glazing? What sort of thermal benefit do
> these (the ones you plan to use) provide? Can you give some context? I'm
> gearing up to make some windows for my house, and am interested in something
> thermally sensible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> yes, triple glazing, by spending an extra 15- 20%,  to increase the
performance of windows by +/- 40-50%.  if windows at 10% of floor area
represent something like 20% of heat transfer of the house, then it strikes
me as a bargain.

beyond this, the goal is to reduce the surface temp of the inner pane of
glass to reduce radiant heat loss from balding heads, and to reduce
convection induced floor drafts across bare feet.