[Greenbuilding] passive house in NY

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:22:17 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM, John Straube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes several single panes in series fog up in cold weather, which is why we
> invented sealed units. Also, low e coatings and gas fills offer improvements
> beyond which just air filled glass can get.

That is actually not the concern of my window-maker friend. His concern, the
thermal benefits notwithstanding, is that the high-tech sealed units fail
after as little as 20 years and then one no longer has a clear window to
look through.
I can't speak to the fogging of two single pane sashes. I don't doubt it
could happen, but on my crummy houses original windows plus storm sashes
this has never to my knowledge occurred.