[Greenbuilding] Passivhaus in NY

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 27 21:57:42 CDT 2011

A few days ago I came across a real estate listing for a beautiful old
home in the south-end of Halifax and the heating costs are said to be
$7,850.00 a year
(www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11148223&PidKey=1715214229<http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11148223&PidKey=1715214229>).
I know that a fuel oil bill of $7,000.00 to $10,000.00 a year is not all
that uncommon for some of these older properties, but I still have a
hard time wrapping my head around these kinds of numbers.

After a relatively mild start to the month our weather has turned
notably colder and so our electrical meter has been a little more active
of late.  For the first twenty-seven days of October we've consumed 27.3
kWh for space heating purposes or an average of 1.0 kWh a day.  Total
cost to date this heating season: $3.39.

See:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/HPUsageasatOctober27th2011.jpg

Cheers,
Paul