[Greenbuilding] drying clothes

Ron Cascio roncascio at verizon.net
Thu Sep 1 07:13:29 CDT 2011

Our transition began when we visited some friends in Vermont for a week's
stay. Went to do a load of laundry and the sign on the dryer read something
like; "Guests, we're trying to reduce our use of fossil fuels, please use
the lines and drying racks if at all possible. Think about it."

Since then we're reduced our use of the dryer by about 95% or more. Paying
attention to the weather, timing wash loads to mornings on sunny days to
enable the best of a full day's drying conditions, and hanging in ways that
maximize the laundry's exposure to sun and wind all help.

We have 75 feet of 3/16" nylon line, split into 4 separate lines outside,
strung between the house and carriage house, and about 50' in the basement.
The outside line does one big load of laundry. Rarely are our items soiled
by birds, and we're careful to shake items just before taking down to evict
any insects. It helps not to locate the lines anywhere near black cherry or
mulberry trees etc., for obvious reasons in fruiting times.

I've grown to enjoy the task.

Ron