[Greenbuilding] Aluminum siding?

Bobbi Chukran bobbi.chukran at suddenlink.net
Thu Sep 1 05:45:38 CDT 2011

Posting this again since I never got confirmation that it was
delivered. Apologies if it was!

Hi all,

Just an update on the new/old house.  We're patching holes, caulking,
got a new AC unit in (nice Carrier Infinity with UV lamp and air
filter) and are about to get bids to do foam insulation on the bottom
of the house and in the attic.

We've had a hellish summer here in Texas, and the new AC is barely
able to keep the house cool enough so that we can work inside.  We
knew that might be the case, but hoped it might be a bit better than
it has been.

My question du jour is about the siding.  Right now, the house is
encased in white aluminum siding, put on in the 60's.  I know that
metal roofs reflect heat out, but what about a metal house?  I have a
notion that the siding is making the house hotter on the inside than
it would be otherwise, but I have no proof.

It does have the original wood underneath, which may be in good shape
but will definitely need scraping/repainting, and I'm 99% sure it's
lead-based paint.  I personally love Hardi-plank, which we had on our
former house.  As far as energy efficiency, savings, etc. is the
metal siding hurting us, or perhaps even helping (by reflecting some
heat)?  I have no clue what it would cost to re-side a house of this
size (1550 SF, one story) in the Hardi-planks.

Comments, recommendations would be appreciated!

bobbi c.
http://twosisters1930cottage.blogspot.com