[Greenbuilding] disasters and the role of building codes in the survival of residential structures?

molasses at q.com molasses at q.com
Thu Sep 1 22:56:31 CDT 2011

Try the sources listed in this: http://www.ctsee.org.tw/pdf/200310/ee0401-01.pdf - do they help?

Google kobe earthquake code changes ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reuben Deumling" <9watts at gmail.com>
To: "Greenbuilding" <greenbuilding at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:01:01 PM
Subject: [Greenbuilding] disasters and the role of building codes in the survival of residential structures?

Can anyone point me to a study of buildings that survive disasters, and their relationship to building codes?

I am under the impression that surveys have been conducted after (some) disasters that found some/many of the buildings still standing were built prior to building codes, while some/many of the flattened or otherwise destroyed nearby houses had been built to code. But this is all very anecdotal and I can't point to any sources. Help.

thanks.

Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org