[Greenbuilding] Aluminum siding?

Bobbi Chukran bobbi at bobbichukran.com
Sat Sep 3 08:33:16 CDT 2011

Thanks for your reply, Ben.  The siding is white, wood grained, and
is ugly.  I'd love to get some color on there.  One advantage to
removing it is that we could add insulation more easily, or house
wrap, and caulk.  As it is now, we can't get to the cracks under
windows, etc. because of it.  I don't mind the aluminum from a
distance, but they encased EVERY bit of wood in the stuff, so up
close it looks like a space ship.  LOL. The original wood siding
underneath is in good shape, but does need scraping/painting.

We have a lot of metal scrappers roving around here now, picking up
stuff from trash.  We gave one young woman all the old metals from
inside the house.  She made quite a bit of $$ from the old water
heater, gas oven, wall heaters, etc.  She worked for the $$ in this
heat, and had a truck, so I didn't mind, AND the stuff got recycled.
The siding is a different story, though.  She mentioned going in
halves on it since she does have the truck and we don't.  That's an
option.

My preference would be to paint it another color, remove it from the
rafter tails and let some of the wood show.  Not sure if that would
work out, though.

bobbi c.