[Greenbuilding] Technology for long hot showers

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sun Sep 4 19:42:50 CDT 2011

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth to me.  And the re-heating could be
a long way from being environmentally kosher.  There is already such a
shower in existance round here. It is called a quench shower. I have never
seen one, and I don't expect to.

A greener way and long hot showers don't go together well but, if you insist
on trying, at least the capital investment will be returned more quickly
than when taking kosher short showers.

You may retrofit a solar water heater could make a huge dent in the heating
cost. You might even enjoy some very pursuasive assistance from the
government to do this.

You might be able to install a drain water heat recovery device. It could be
more practical than solar, and can save about 35% of the heating costs.

Neither of these do anything about the water and I submit the best bet here
is to try to use the water subsequently elsewhere rather than fiddling about
with it in the shower. Recycling grey water is not very effective or useful
for most people, particularly for those who take twenty minute showers.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW