[Greenbuilding] epdm vs. tar

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Sat Sep 10 00:06:59 CDT 2011

Hi, Gennaro--

We used two layers of asphalt torchdown over plywood to seal the roof, and then we laid EPDM over that, mainly to create a root barrier as plants can get through asphalt. Our roof is sloped so we installed perforated metal dividers horizontally to prevent our planting mix from sliding on the EPDM. Four years on, seems to be doing fine.

Best,

Mike O'Brien