[Greenbuilding] While we're on Solar....any experience with a solar cooker?

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 10 07:24:15 CDT 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:12:21 -0400, Corwyn <corwyn at midcoast.com> wrote:

> On 9/9/2011 6:21 PM, RT wrote:
>
>> Baking and roasting are inefficient means of cooking.

> I would love to see your energy calculations for this.  It takes a lot
> less energy to heat couple of cubic feet of air than it does a couple of
> pounds of water. on the order of 50 times less.

> p.s.  You are't 'poaching' with rigorously boiling water, you are
> boiling.

Hey, it's not my job to convince the heathens of something I already know
to be true.
You can do the arithmetic yourself.

If it were simply a matter of heating a couple of cubic feet of air, then
all the stuff we accept about the benefits of incorporating solar-heated
thermal mass into buildings would be a bunch of hooey.

When poaching a chicken as described previously, one uses a pot that
closely fits the bird so that a minimum of water is needed to just cover
the bird ... about 2 litres (8 cups) or less.

And "yes" it is "poaching" rather than "boiling".

Boiling would involve applying heat throughout the entire cooking process
and the resultant bird would be hard, dried-out and tasteless.

Something that I forgot to mention in my previous message was that using a
pressure cooker instead of a regular pot would further reduce "cooking"
time.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom